Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) 2021-22

Closes 31 Mar 2022

Before you complete your application

Your Data: Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)

The Scottish Government and Scottish Borders Council are the data controllers in relation to the processing of your application. This is because Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is funded by the Scottish Government and administered by Local Authority as part of its public task.

You can contact us by post Scottish Borders Council, Newtown St Boswells, TD6 0SA or by phone 0300 100 1800 or by email

You can contact the council’s data protection officer using the contact details for the council as set out above or by email at  


How your information will be used

We will use your information for the purposes of assessment, award payment and if necessary, recovery of EMA.  We will provide the Scottish Government in line with the requirements of the Scottish Government EMA (Scotland) Business Model. The Council is collecting and using your information as it is necessary for us to perform a task in the public interest.

This information will be accessed by relevant Council staff who need to use your information in order to provide the service described above.  The Council is legally obliged to safeguard public funds so details will be checked internally for fraud prevention and verification purposes and may be shared with other public bodies such as HMRC for the same purpose External Auditors for audit purposes and Scottish Government if any queries.

The information you have provided and created as part of this service will be retained for 6 years. Your information will be destroyed in a secure manner after this period.

Please note the council does not use profiling or automated decision making processes.  Some processes are semi-automated (such as anti-fraud data matching) but a human decision maker will always be involved before any decision is reached in relation to you.


Third Party Information

If you have provided anyone else's details to us, please make sure that you have told them that you have given their information to the Council.  We will only use their information as part of this process. If they want any more information on how we will use their information they can visit our web site at or by email


Your rights

For information on what rights you have over your personal data, please visit our website or if you would like a hard copy of this information please contact us using the contact details provided above.

Please visit our website for information on how to raise a complaint if you are unhappy with the way the Council has processed your data.

Are going to be 16 or older before the 1 March 2022?
I have read and understood the information above.